On November 9, 2021, the US Department of Agriculture published an article to highlight new research from the USDA Caribbean Climate Hub. Use the link below to read the full blog article.
Agricultural Advisors Identify Gaps and Challenges in Future Hurricanes Preparedness and Recovery
Four years after Hurricanes Irma and Maria devastated the Caribbean, there is still an urgency to understand how to best prepare farmers and working lands for future hurricanes. Agricultural advisors are first responders and witnesses of hurricane impacts and strategies used in hurricane preparedness and recovery. A new study by the USDA Caribbean Climate Hub analyzes the experiences of agricultural advisors involved in the aftermath of Hurricanes Irma and Maria in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands to identify gaps in hurricane preparedness and recovery measures.
Visit the USDA Blog by clicking the photo.
For more information on this research and hurricane preparedness, check out these resources:
- USDA blog: Agricultural Advisors Identify Gaps and Challenges in Future Hurricanes Preparedness and Recovery: https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2021/11/09/agricultural-advisors-identify-gaps-and-challenges-future-hurricanes
- Research paper: Hurricane effects, mitigation, and preparedness in the Caribbean: Perspectives on high importance-low prevalence practices from agricultural advisors – Treesearch: https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/63294
- Interactive fact sheet:
Hurricane preparedness and recovery: perspective of agricultural advisors inPuerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands: https://caribbeanclimatehub.org/resources/publications/factsheets-infographics/hurricane-preparedness-and-recovery-perspective-of-agricultural-advisers/
- Fact sheet: Disaster assistance for farmers: https://caribbeanclimatehub.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USDA-CCH_DisasterAssistanceforFarmer_FactsheetOct2017-1.pdf
- Infographic: Agricultural Conservation Practices for Climate Risk Reduction: https://caribbeanclimatehub.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USDA-CCH_AgriculturalConservationPracticesforClimateRiskReductionOct2017.pdf
- Fact sheet: How to salvage fallen trees after Hurricane Maria: https://caribbeanclimatehub.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USDA-CCH_HowtoSalvageFallenTreesafterHurricaneMariaOct2017.pdf
- Fact sheet: Climate Change Effects on Livestock & Adaptation Strategies: https://caribbeanclimatehub.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USDA_CCH_ClimateChangeandLivestockintheUSCaribbeanJan2017.pdf
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.